In or Out of the Nest? Helping Adult Children

Almost a third of young adults ages 18 to 34 were living with their parents in 2014, up from one out of five in 1960. And for the first time on record, dating back to 1880, the percentage living with a parent was higher than the percentage living with a romantic partner. This may have shifted slightly over the last two years, as the economy has improved, but it’s not only the economy that keeps young people in the nest. College attendance and the average marriage age have increased.1

Having your adult child live with you during or after college, while looking for work, or when beginning a new job may be a natural stage in your family’s life. But continued long-term support — in or outside of the family home — can slow a young person’s progress toward accepting adult financial responsibilities and could make it more difficult for you to pursue your own financial goals.


Here are some considerations if you’re in a similar situation.

Cut the strings gradually. If your working son or daughter is living with you, consider charging a low level of rent and/or a small portion of other household expenses. On the other hand, if the young person is paying off student debt or saving for a specific goal, such as a security deposit on an apartment or a down payment on a house or car, you might pay all expenses for a period of time.

Require some cost sharing. A young working adult who is on your mobile phone plan or covered by your medical insurance should pay an appropriate share of the monthly phone charges and out-of-pocket medical expenses.

Examine the situation. If your adult child has money problems, consider whether the situation is an unexpected short-term crisis or a chronic issue. What kind of sacrifices is he or she making to improve the situation? What steps could help avoid a future crisis?

Establish whether monetary help is a gift or a loan. Making it a loan could help your child develop financial responsibility. If it’s a loan, set a realistic repayment schedule.

Consider other ways to help. Do you have an extra car for transportation to a job? Can you provide child care for grandchildren? Do you have contacts who might help your son or daughter find a job? Are there outside agencies that could help?

Children are precious, and it’s natural to want to help them in every way you can. However, both you and your adult children may be on more stable financial ground if you encourage them to stand on their own.

Twin Cities Retirement Income Planning | Financial Planning Associates
5201 Duncraig Road
Edina, MN 55436
Phone: 952-929-2577 Fax: 952-928-3799

Securities and advisory services offered through Cetera Advisors LLC, member FINRA, SIPC. Cetera is under separate ownership from any other named entity.

1200 S Washington Ave  Suite 270 Minneapolis MN 55415

We are licensed to sell Insurance Products in the following states:  Minnesota, Indiana

We are registered to sell Securities in the following states: California, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana


Financial Planning Associates and Venture  Development Inc. and RE/MAX Results are not affiliated with Cetera Advisors LLC.

This site is published for residents of the United States only. Registered Representatives of Cetera Advisors LLC may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every advisor listed. For additional information please contact the advisor(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Advisors LLC site at

The registered representative(s) and/or investment adviser representative(s) listed on this website are licensed and registered in the following states:

We are licensed to sell Insurance Products in IN,MN.

[ Online Privacy Policy | Important Disclosures | Business Continuity | Privacy Promise | Order Routing Disclosure | Cetera Advisors ]